Sunday, August 29, 2010

What your mama never told ya!


These are my great-GREAT-grandparents.

They were dedicated farmers and tougher than cow hide.

During my recent visit to Saskatchewan, Aunty Arlene brought out a book owned by great grandma, titled The People's Home Library.



It had at least a thousand pages with all sorts of pioneer worthy information.





Including some very sage advice to young men...





No, it's best not to "sow" those "wild oats."

And of course there was an even bigger chapter for women. My favourite passage had to be this one:




I like how it advises the mother to go to the local doctor and discreetly ask about the potential son-in-law's health (and sex life). Those local doctors knew everything!


3 comments:

  1. "marriage is a lottery. You may draw a prize, or your life may be miserable." Such a positive outlook for us unmarried women. Haha love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You missed one- they are your great-great grandparents.
    Grandpa's Dad's parents, Michael & ?(I'll look up her name.
    Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I had no idea! GREAT-great grandparents.

    ReplyDelete