Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The night Cam broke the second most expensive thing in the apartment




So I was doing my regular trainer ride, watching some TV, workin' up a sweat. My chain sounded like a bird was caught in it, so Cam brought over some bike lube and a rag. Just like any good mechanic! And, as he's done countless times at work, he started lubing the chain, with me pedalling instead of him having to work the cranks with one hand.

By some fluke, the rag caught in the chain and snarled into the derailleur. The derailleur snapped back and tore off, as they are designed to do when a foreign object gets caught. But instead of tumbling into the wheel as they usually do, where it might bend a couple spokes out of joint, it smashed into my seat stay and snapped the carbon in two places......





Major :(  :(  :(

Such a random thing to have happen, since this is how mechanics usually clean chains. It's times like these we're so thankful he works at a bike shop and can get a significant deal on a new frame. I hope it's here in time for the big ride at the end of May!

Pooooor Cervelo...


5 comments: